After I reboot my commcare monolith instance the command: -

df -h

returns

When I run the after-reboot command: -

commcare-cloud <env> after-reboot all

it completes with a success status. When I run: -

df -hT

I get the following response: -

However, when I list the contents of the /opt/data directory it shows an empty directory. I can note from the screenshots that the /opt/data has some 54GB of data that seems to be inaccessible by the Ubuntu OS.

Question:

1. What could have gone wrong in the reboot sequence of commcare that has caused this inaccessiblity?
  2. Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Note:
This is the response when i run the command: -

commcare-cloud <env> django-manage check_services

Hi Ezra,

The "54GB on an empty volume" does sound curious if it is indeed empty. Maybe there are hidden files? You could verify this by running:

ls -alh /opt/data

Anyhow, the things that are expected to be in that volume are not hidden, so that seems like the real problem here. I'm curious what (and how) got mounted at /opt/data. What do you get when you execute (on the system):

mount | grep 'on /opt/data'

-Joel

After running: -

mount | grep 'on /op/data'

I get the respone: -

looks like the drive is encrypted.

Hmm, that looks normal. I was worried that somehow /opt/data got mounted twice (as in, an empty volume got mounted overtop the correct one), but that doesn't look like what's happening here.

Perhaps check the permissions of the /opt and /opt/data directories. Maybe something is locked down in a way that non-root users cannot list the directory? Try:

ls -ld /opt /opt/data

For example, when I run this on a working CommCareHQ monolith, I get this:

$ ls -ld /opt /opt/data
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 4096 Sep 20 05:32 /opt
drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 4096 Jul  1 13:03 /opt/data

Note that the "world" permissions are what's important here (the final r-x in the permission string). These two columns:

drwxr-xr-x ...
drwxr-xr-x ...
       ^ ^
       | `- Execute
       `-- Read

If that is not what you see, you can fix it by executing (this will do nothing if the permissions are already correct):

sudo chmod -v 0755 /opt /opt/data

By default, after-reboot will mount an encrypted (ecryptfs) filesystem on /opt/data. It looks like in this case you already had data at /opt/data that the encrypted filesystem was mounted on top of, leaving it inaccessible. The easiest short term fix is to unmount the encrypted filesystem. umount /opt/data should work, I believe.

This does likely mean that the data on that server is not encrypted, unless you are using another encryption mechanism (such as an encrypted block device in aws). If you expect this data to be encrypted, you may want to copy it out of /opt/data to another location, remount the encrypted filesystem (with after-reboot) and copy it back onto the encrypted filesystem. Otherwise, you should be able to prevent after-reboot from mounting that filesystem by changing the setting root_encryption_mode to something other than ecryptfs in your environment public yaml file.

Cal

1 Like

Hello Joel,
This is the same as what I get from my server too.

Hi Cal,
Your suggestion looks hopefull. However, I get this: -

when I run the following command: -

sudo lsof /opt/data

I get this:-

Curious:
Could this be the data we are looking for..?

Hello Ezra,

You will need to stop all the database services (couchdb, redis, Postgres) and any other processes that depend on /opt/data before doing umount

When I stop some of these services the start up again keeping that directory busy, hence i am unable to unmount it.

Hello,

Can you share the services that are getting restarted automatically?

There might be other/unwanted processes making the server busy.

to see the detail you better observe the top processes running on the server: using top/htop. And for disks you can look the top disk consumming tasks by iotop command.

sudo iotop --only -d 2 to display top disk operation; refreshed every 2 seconds

All other services apart from postgre

@sravan even with @demis08 suggestion I can see we still have some postgres activity running even with postgres systemctl status showing inactive.

Can you please share the full service from ps aux | grep -i postgres?

Here is the respone to the command: -

ps aux | grep -i postgres

Hi Ezra,

Cal's suggestion seems to be the correct analysis. This is the likely chain of events that happened to get you where you are now:

• The instance was rebooted.
  • When CommCare HQ started up, services were running using /opt/data which is just a subdirectory of your root volume (/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu-lv mounted on /)
  • The after-reboot command was executed.
  • This mounted an encrypted volume on top of /opt/data, effectively obscuring the contents of the underlying /opt/data.

The reason you see the "expected file paths" when running the lsof command is because all of those file handles were opened prior to the encrypted volume being mounted overtop, and so all of those open files are still valid for the running processes that opened them. The services are still likely failing because they cannot open new files at those locations because they are now obscured by the encrypted volume mount.

There is only one way to recover from this: you must stop all running services that are attempting to use any files located in /opt/data because the umount command will fail until you do so. The easiest way to accomplish this is to completely stop the entire CommCare HQ application stack. Once all services are down, your umount command should be able to succeed. Alternatively, you could just reboot the instance and change your configuration to not use an encrypted FS (as Cal recommended) before running after-reboot again.

Joel

Thank you Joel,
However,
Stopping the application stack doesn't seem to work considering that the services are started by other processes.

Is there a chain of commands that i can run to achieve this?

Is there a chain of commands that i can run to achieve this?

Yes, you can run the command commcare-cloud <env> service <service> stop for each service in the stack (docs here):

commcare-cloud <env> service webworker stop
commcare-cloud <env> service pillowtop stop
commcare-cloud <env> service celery stop
# etc, etc ...

You can also provide multiple services with one command. Something like the following should stop them all. However, your stack might not be running all of these services (I just copied these from the command help doc), so running the command below may complain about some services not running.

commcare-cloud <env> service celery citusdb commcare couchdb2 elasticsearch elasticsearch-classic formplayer kafka nginx pillowtop postgresql rabbitmq redis webworker stop

If you're unable to get the umount command to succeed, I would recommend updating your env config (to disable disk encryption, as Cal recommended) and rebooting the entire system. This is probably an easier route, and doing so will verify that your configuration is reboot-safe.

Update: it has been brought to my attention that there is a downtime command that will stop all services in an HQ environment (thanks @schauhan).

• Stop all services: commcare-cloud <env> downtime start
  • Start them again: commcare-cloud <env> downtime end

Performing a reboot might still be the most "robust" solution, but the downtime command should be much easier than stopping each service individually.

So I got into a call with @Sravan_Reddy and we run steps to troubleshoot the problem: -

1. We run the commands : -
commcare-cloud <env> downtime start

We noted that the database services were still up and had to shut them down completely.

1. We restarted to server to illustrate how the server behaves when you do a restart.
  2. We than listed the directory /opt/data and found that it lists the encrypted directories.
  3. We then noted noted that the environment didn't have the vault.yml file necessary for the credentials to decrypt the files.
  4. We then copied the vault.yml file to the respective environment and run the: -
commcare-cloud <env> after-reboot all 
  1. Then we listed the directories and got the following response: -

Looks like we are heading in the right direction with this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Ezra,

Can you provide below.

1. the output of the command cat /etc/fstab and
  2. the complete output of commcare-cloud <env> after-reboot all after you have rebooted.