Installation Query

(sneha) #1

Hi,

I have a very silly doubt.

Please find below a screen shot. I have installed until the point that says “set up docker services”

Is that step mandatory or is it okay if I ignore that step as I don’t want to use the docker.

Thank you.

Regards,
Sneha

0 Likes

(Simon Kelly) #2

The instructions you are looking at are for setting up a dev environment. You do not have to use docker but that means you need to have all the services running in some other way. This includes, PostgreSQL, CouchDB, Elasticsearch, Redis, Kafka, RiakCS, Formplayer.

For a dev environment using docker greatly simplifies the setup process.

0 Likes

(sneha) #3

Great thank you! Will do so.

0 Likes

(sneha) #4

Hello,

Was able to install Commcare. However, I am getting a couple of errors. Could you please guide me?

Please find below a screen shot of the errors.

Thank you.

0 Likes

(Ethan Soergel) #5

That error means that the “formplayer” service isn’t running or that the primary server process cannot connect to it. There are two options for doing so, described here. Running the standalone jar is a bit simpler. I’d ensure that the process is running and that you’ve adjusted your localsettings as described.

0 Likes

(sneha) #6

Hello,

Thank you. Will try the jar process.

0 Likes

(sneha) #7

Hi,

I tried installing all the versions of java. Still getting an error. Could someone please guide as to which version to use?

Thank you.

0 Likes

(Clayton Sims) #8

Hi,

We recently upgraded FormPlayer to run with Java8. I believe we use the OpenJDK8 distribution on our servers. Can you clarify the error?

0 Likes

(sneha) #9

Hello,

Thank you. Will try with OpenJDK8.

The error message:

I don’t get any error messages on the terminal however when I try to use the app I get this error message.

Thank you.

0 Likes

(Simon Kelly) #10

Are there any traceback either from Formplayer or from CommCareHQ?

There are a number of places that could be an issue. One place to check is the developer tools window in the browser to see where it is making the request to - that will allow you to test if Formplayer is actually running at that URL. If not you may need to change FORMPLAYER_URL in settings.

0 Likes

(sneha) #11

Hello,

Looks like it is the FORMPLAYER_URL problem. I am going to re-start the installation.

I am not sure about the URL itself. Is it localhost:8000 or localhost:8010? My IP is 172.17.0.1:8000
The problem is I think I am using different IPs everywhere. Could you please tell me if this is right?

Thank you.

0 Likes

(Simon Kelly) #12

This should be the publicly accessible URL since it needs to be available from the browser. For a dev environment setup this is likely something like http://localhost:8010 (port that Formplayer is running on).

In a production environment you’ll most likely have Formplayer behind a reverse proxy and can create a location match to route requests to it. Then the URL would be something like https://www.mysite.com/formplayer

0 Likes