Importing ODK Build generated XML to CommCareHQ

Hi,

Is it possible to create a form in a CommCare application based on the XML
generated by ODK Build?
So far I have tried to copy the XML into a blank form using the ‘Edit
Source XML’ tool. The import sort of works. All the questions are created
but labels are missing and it’s impossible to save the form.

Any clues?

Thanks a lot,

Guillaume

Guillaume,

Could you clarify what tool you mean when you say “ODK Build”?

Thanks,
Will

··· On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Guillaume Deflaux < deflaux.guillaume@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to create a form in a CommCare application based on the XML
generated by ODK Build?
So far I have tried to copy the XML into a blank form using the ‘Edit
Source XML’ tool. The import sort of works. All the questions are created
but labels are missing and it’s impossible to save the form.

Any clues?

Thanks a lot,

Guillaume


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Will,

likely this: http://build.opendatakit.org/

Thanks,
Jonathan

··· On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM, William Pride wrote:

Guillaume,

Could you clarify what tool you mean when you say “ODK Build”?

Thanks,
Will

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Guillaume Deflaux < deflaux.guillaume@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to create a form in a CommCare application based on the
XML generated by ODK Build?
So far I have tried to copy the XML into a blank form using the ‘Edit
Source XML’ tool. The import sort of works. All the questions are created
but labels are missing and it’s impossible to save the form.

Any clues?

Thanks a lot,

Guillaume


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Guillaume,

I was able to get a form built using that tool to save and deploy on HQ by
removing the block and adding the “name” attribute to the
block (which HQ will do for you if you close and open the Edit Source XML
page again). The labels also successfully loaded into the HQ form building
tool.

If those changes don’t solve the problem, let me know what errors you’re
seeing on HQ when you try to save or deploy. If there’s nothing useful
there, please report a bug following the instructions here
https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/Bug+Reports and
include the XML that you’re trying to import and someone on our dev team
will take a look.

Best,
Will

··· On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Jonathan Jackson wrote:

Hi Will,

likely this: http://build.opendatakit.org/

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM, William Pride wpride@dimagi.com wrote:

Guillaume,

Could you clarify what tool you mean when you say “ODK Build”?

Thanks,
Will

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Guillaume Deflaux < deflaux.guillaume@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to create a form in a CommCare application based on the
XML generated by ODK Build?
So far I have tried to copy the XML into a blank form using the ‘Edit
Source XML’ tool. The import sort of works. All the questions are created
but labels are missing and it’s impossible to save the form.

Any clues?

Thanks a lot,

Guillaume


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Will,

Thanks for your input. It helped indeed.
I managed to load the form and remove all the errors by doing the following
(in addition to what you mentioned):

  • Add “name” prop to “data” tag
  • Remove line with “instanceID”
  • Added missing hint labels
  • Replaced <translation lang="eng”> by <translation lang="en”>

I still have some issues so I reported an issue (not able to save form or
to edit the XML).

Cheers,

··· On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:07:37 PM UTC, William Pride wrote:

Guillaume,

I was able to get a form built using that tool to save and deploy on HQ by
removing the block and adding the “name” attribute to the
block (which HQ will do for you if you close and open the Edit Source XML
page again). The labels also successfully loaded into the HQ form building
tool.

If those changes don’t solve the problem, let me know what errors you’re
seeing on HQ when you try to save or deploy. If there’s nothing useful
there, please report a bug following the instructions here
https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/Bug+Reports and
include the XML that you’re trying to import and someone on our dev team
will take a look.

Best,
Will

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Jonathan Jackson <jjac...@dimagi.com <javascript:>> wrote:

Hi Will,

likely this: http://build.opendatakit.org/

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM, William Pride <wpr...@dimagi.com <javascript:>> wrote:

Guillaume,

Could you clarify what tool you mean when you say “ODK Build”?

Thanks,
Will

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Guillaume Deflaux < deflaux....@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to create a form in a CommCare application based on the
XML generated by ODK Build?
So far I have tried to copy the XML into a blank form using the ‘Edit
Source XML’ tool. The import sort of works. All the questions are created
but labels are missing and it’s impossible to save the form.

Any clues?

Thanks a lot,

Guillaume


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Thanks Guillaume,

We got your support request and are looking into it.

Cory

··· On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 4:43 AM, Guillaume Deflaux < deflaux.guillaume@gmail.com> wrote:

Will,

Thanks for your input. It helped indeed.
I managed to load the form and remove all the errors by doing the
following (in addition to what you mentioned):

  • Add “name” prop to “data” tag
  • Remove line with “instanceID”
  • Added missing hint labels
  • Replaced <translation lang="eng”> by <translation lang="en”>

I still have some issues so I reported an issue (not able to save form or
to edit the XML).

Cheers,

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:07:37 PM UTC, William Pride wrote:

Guillaume,

I was able to get a form built using that tool to save and deploy on HQ
by removing the block and adding the “name” attribute to the
block (which HQ will do for you if you close and open the Edit Source XML
page again). The labels also successfully loaded into the HQ form building
tool.

If those changes don’t solve the problem, let me know what errors you’re
seeing on HQ when you try to save or deploy. If there’s nothing useful
there, please report a bug following the instructions here
https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/Bug+Reports and
include the XML that you’re trying to import and someone on our dev team
will take a look.

Best,
Will

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Jonathan Jackson jjac...@dimagi.com wrote:

Hi Will,

likely this: http://build.opendatakit.org/

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM, William Pride wpr...@dimagi.com wrote:

Guillaume,

Could you clarify what tool you mean when you say “ODK Build”?

Thanks,
Will

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Guillaume Deflaux < deflaux....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to create a form in a CommCare application based on the
XML generated by ODK Build?
So far I have tried to copy the XML into a blank form using the ‘Edit
Source XML’ tool. The import sort of works. All the questions are created
but labels are missing and it’s impossible to save the form.

Any clues?

Thanks a lot,

Guillaume


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.