Import Cases from Excel Option Alternative

Hello Wonderful Forum Community,

I am attempting to link my registration form and two followup forms so that all three are downloaded into one excel file (preferably with each form on a different sheet (in the same workbook). It was suggested that I " to use the case_id fields to link together the case with the forms. That way, you can have individual exports for all the different forms, but then link them later using the case_id."

However, the 'import cases from excel' option is missing (see below)

Is there an alternative to this solution? That doesn't require a standard plan?

Thanks all,
Shawn

Shawna,

I don't think you want to be linking together the cases and form using the case importer (as per our support email thread!). I thought more about what you wanted to do, and I think there might be a miscommunication (apologies for this).

When I originally stated you needed to use the case_id to link together the registration and followup forms with the cases, I meant you need to do this directly in Excel, not on HQ. Here's what I think you need to do:

1. Download your case list here: Log In :: CommCare HQ - CommCare HQ

2. Then, create the exports for followups and registration forms here: Log In :: CommCare HQ - CommCare HQ

• Note that you only have followup forms right now
  • In those form exports, make sure you select @case_id as a field in both exports:

3. Do a bulk download of your followups and registration forms. It will look like this:

1. Open up your Excel sheet. You'll see two tabs. One of these represents the followup forms, one represents the registration forms:

1. Open up your case download from step (1) and add this to the sheet. It should look like this:

1. Now you've got cases, followup forms, and registration forms all in one sheet.
  2. Now, match the caseid field on the "cases" sheet to the form.case.@case_id field in the other two sheets. If they match, that means the followup or registration form was for that particular case.

Let me know if this makes sense!

Best,
Kai

Thanks Kai,

As per usual you are thorough and informative. I will give it a try and let you know
Best,
S.