How often should update-config be run?

As per the title - how often should I run an update-config? I've noticed from time to time that there are unexpected changes when I run an update-config. When deploying a new build or updating Commcare Cloud, are any changes to config introduced with code updates applied at that point or do I need to manually run an update-config after a deploy or CC Cloud update?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @erobinson
Often, when make changes on public.yaml , vault.yaml, proxy.yaml etc .....
Maybe there is other trigger to update-config
Thanks

Hi @Babacar_Gueye thanks for your response. Agree, running it after any update to the environment files seems normal, I just happened to notice that an update-config suggested there were changes to be made when there were no changes made to those files. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Perhaps I will run it again later and post an example.

Thanks!

Hi @erobinson @Babacar_Gueye ,

You're both correct - anytime you make changes to your environment files, and also when advised to by a new changelog entry. This document is a useful reference: Expectations for Ongoing Maintenance — CommCareHQ Deployment documentation

It doesn't mention running update-config explicitly, though. Often, updates to the commcare-cloud code do involve changes that will be applied next time update-config is run, but these should generally not have any effect on your system (they're often things like changing the way a setting is specified). If they do require manual intervention or if it's something that needs to be run soon, a changelog entry should accompany the change to notify of it.

If you do see something that looks questionable when previewing the changes applied via update-code, feel free to ask on the forum and we can hopefully provide more context.

1 Like