Exporting display text instead of choice value

Hi,

I am trying to export the display text for "English language" instead of choice values. This is going to save me a lot of time in Excel to have all cells with spaces instead of under dashes between words.

Does anyone have any idea how this would work?

Thanks in advance,

Rami

yeah not sure that's possible my friend because that value is what actually goes into different tables as a primary key of sorts. primary keys need to follow the same standard almost across all database engines with some minor exceptions that allow different characters to be used. to guarantee compatibility, it's always best advised to use a consistent database friendly approach with your values.

imagine this, you have an app that has a list, but your app can appear in 5 different languages. which of of the values should we store in our database? lang1, 2, 3, or the base value that was set up against the list? each one of those values would require a column in order to save that in that language. that's not entirely unfeasible, but probably not a great practice. in addition, using this approach allows you to be able to tell the different between a "No" for question1, and a "No" for question 2 that is if the database values have q1no and q2no instead of just a "no". many things you can achieve with this especially if you're using statistical analysis software and tools such as "R".

my advice on this issue is to get all your list entries in an excel file somewhere, and perform a translation via a VLookup on excel. then use that output to report. that's what we do when we need to display these values in a cosmetically appealing way.

Perhaps Dimagi has something that offers this functionality, and if not, maybe put it on our wishlist? I can certainly see it being heavily used
HTH

Mazz

Thank you Mazen. I already do Vlookup for Excel translation but it I'd like to connect the export directly to PowerBI to have a live interactive dashboard. I will explore more on how to do the translation on PowerBI query. If you know how, i'd love to hear about it.

Thanks a lot for the explanation (Y)

grab that same source you're using for a VLookup, then just import it into powerbi through a query.
then merge queries between the main form and the translation, and add the column with the translation

whatever you can do in excel, you can do in powerBI.

another approach is to leverage relationships. 1 to many between your forms and the translations, and when you run a matrix or any other visual, just pull data from both tables/queries and it'll do it for you.

but a word of advice, relationships in powerBI don't behave exactly like you would expect, so you should validate that you are getting what you're after and that your relationships aren't making it produce higher figures or lower. always validate by producing the same figure in at least two separate ways. That is, until you get a strong grasp of how PowerBI deals with relationships.

GL!

Thank you so much for all advises. I am still a beginner in PowerBI regarding functions and query edits. I will look it up and see how it goes.