Export of nicely formatted single form from Submit History

Hi all,

I am a fan of the way that a single submitted form is displayed in such a
nice, human-readable way on the "View Form" page under the "Submit History"
report (screenshot attached). Right now, to be able to view in that format
offline, I can sort of copy and paste from that web page and re-jigger it
in MS Word to make it look okay, but I'm wondering if there's a simple way
to export it so that it maintains that formatting. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

We don't currently have an export for this display format. Excel form
exports are generally the best option to export form data.

If you want to describe what would be helpful in terms of formatting for
you, would you submit a UserVoice ticket for the feature that you're
describing? That way we can generate support for this idea and possibly
implement it. See our UserVoice site here: http://dimagi.uservoice.com/

Thanks,

Nate Haduch

Technical Support Analyst
Dimagi, Inc | 585 Massachusetts Ave | Suite 3 | Cambridge, MA 02139

··· On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Sarah S. wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,
Sarah

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

(You could also print the report to PDF but then it wouldn't be editable.)

··· On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Nate Haduch wrote:

Hi Sarah,

We don't currently have an export for this display format. Excel form
exports are generally the best option to export form data.

If you want to describe what would be helpful in terms of formatting for
you, would you submit a UserVoice ticket for the feature that you're
describing? That way we can generate support for this idea and possibly
implement it. See our UserVoice site here: http://dimagi.uservoice.com/

Thanks,

Nate Haduch

Technical Support Analyst
Dimagi, Inc | 585 Massachusetts Ave | Suite 3 | Cambridge, MA 02139

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Sarah S. searle.sarah@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,
Sarah

--
"commcare-users" group.

--
"commcare-users" group.

Thanks all! I assumed as much but just wanted to check. Will submit a
UserVoice ticket.

Thanks,
Sarah

··· On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 5:42:48 PM UTC-4, Cory Zue wrote: > > (You could also print the report to PDF but then it wouldn't be editable.) > > On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Nate Haduch <nha...@dimagi.com > wrote: > >> Hi Sarah, >> >> We don't currently have an export for this display format. Excel form >> exports are generally the best option to export form data. >> >> If you want to describe what would be helpful in terms of formatting for >> you, would you submit a UserVoice ticket for the feature that you're >> describing? That way we can generate support for this idea and possibly >> implement it. See our UserVoice site here: http://dimagi.uservoice.com/ >> >> Thanks, >> >> Nate Haduch >> >> Technical Support Analyst >> Dimagi, Inc | 585 Massachusetts Ave | Suite 3 | Cambridge, MA 02139 >> >> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Sarah S. <searle...@gmail.com > wrote: >> >>> Hi all, >>> >>> I am a fan of the way that a single submitted form is displayed in such >>> a nice, human-readable way on the "View Form" page under the "Submit >>> History" report (screenshot attached). Right now, to be able to view in >>> that format offline, I can sort of copy and paste from that web page and >>> re-jigger it in MS Word to make it look okay, but I'm wondering if there's >>> a simple way to export it so that it maintains that formatting. Thoughts? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> Sarah >>> >>> -- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "commcare-users" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com . >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>> >> >> >> >> >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "commcare-users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > >

Has anyone in the community had any luck addressing this issue? We still have a need to be able to view the submission from a single form, with formatting, outside of CommCare HQ. Initial thoughts are mail merge into a formatted Word document or format Excel sheets and create a giant macro. Does anyone know of a less painful option?

Hi Jenn,

Can you articulate your use case a bit more? What are you looking to do with the portable version of the form? Would a "printed-to-pdf" page work as a document?

I can pass this feedback on to our product team for consideration with a bit of a better understanding of your objectives.

Hi Clayton, we often need to share individual form submission with external stakeholders, and they prefer documents that can be emailed and/or printed to logging into CommCare HQ. The most common use case is a facility assessment--while it's easy to set up an export to share aggregate data, it's not easy to share the more qualitative data on a form-by-form basis. Ideally you could quickly export all the forms associated with a given case and include the formatting. I think a print to PDF would work, if it would capture only the submitted form and not include the rest of the info on the CommCare HQ web page.

Hi Jenn,

That makes a lot of sense as a feature request, especially now that this page is formatted in the current style.

Just to see how feasible this is, I tried to come up with a clever way to hack this into the page with a bookmarklet and almost succeeded, but it looks like the page likely needs to be restructured to make full use of the printed page.

I submitted this, slightly adapted, feature request to our product team in case they can take a look. They'll update the page if they do indeed address the issue.

-Clayton

P.S. If you want to iterate on the bookmarklet, you can get it here. I don't think it's possible to hack it in like this due to how we've laid out the web page, but maybe an industrious person could find a way!

The Forum appears to have eaten my hyperlinked bookmarklet, so i'll have to post the Javascript directly. It's unlikely to be helpful unless you are very familiar with javascript, but I feel like it's a useful lead if so.

function(){ var style = document.createElement(%27style%27), styleContent = document.createTextNode(%27 @media print { body * { visibility: hidden !important; } .table-responsive * { visibility: visible !important;} .table-responsive { position: sticky !important; top: 0px !important; left: 0px !important; } } %27); style.appendChild(styleContent ); var caput = document.getElementsByTagName(%27head%27); caput[0].appendChild(style); window.print();})();