CommCare Data Export Tool

Hi,

I was using the CommCare Data Export Tool found here
https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/CommCare+Data+Export+Tool and
I had a couple questions. My goal is to be able to get CommCare to
automatically put daily exports into a folder in a specific directory on my
computer.

In my attempt to implement it, here my questions so far:

1. In the --query command is it required to have downloaded the
    spreadsheet? If I have to do this everyday, the process won't be automated.
    I also tried using the download link address, but that did not seem to work.

2. In the picture attached, I am simply just trying to put the excel
    spreadsheet in the same directory (I will later put it in another the goal
    directory), but I am receiving an error message I am not sure how to deal
    with. I appreciate any help on figuring out what is wrong with the cmd line
    prompt I wrote and why the output spreadsheet won't be placed in the same
    directory.

I appreciate your help in answering these questions,

Hakan

HI Hakan

The "--query" parameter is what tells the tool what to download and what
columns to export. That file shouldn't need to change so you should be able
to keep that the same.

The error message you're getting is because your query file is missing the
"Data Source" column.

··· On 17 February 2017 at 18:53, Hakan Berk wrote:

Hi,

https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/CommCare+Data+Export+Tool and
computer.

directory.

Hakan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
Simon Kelly
Director of Server Engineer | Dimagi

Does the Data Source column not come with the Daily Export?

If not and I have to create a column, how would I automate this process so
I can export to a specific folder daily?

Thanks,

Hakan

··· On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 8:58:29 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote: > > HI Hakan > > The "--query" parameter is what tells the tool what to download and what > columns to export. That file shouldn't need to change so you should be able > to keep that the same. > > The error message you're getting is because your query file is missing the > "Data Source" column. > > On 17 February 2017 at 18:53, Hakan Berk <hakan....@gmail.com > wrote: > >> Hi, >> >> I was using the CommCare Data Export Tool found here >> and >> I had a couple questions. My goal is to be able to get CommCare to >> automatically put daily exports into a folder in a specific directory on my >> computer. >> >> In my attempt to implement it, here my questions so far: >> >> 1) In the --query command is it required to have downloaded the >> spreadsheet? If I have to do this everyday, the process won't be automated. >> I also tried using the download link address, but that did not seem to work. >> >> 2) In the picture attached, I am simply just trying to put the excel >> spreadsheet in the same directory (I will later put it in another the goal >> directory), but I am receiving an error message I am not sure how to deal >> with. I appreciate any help on figuring out what is wrong with the cmd line >> prompt I wrote and why the output spreadsheet won't be placed in the same >> directory. >> >> I appreciate your help in answering these questions, >> >> Hakan >> >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "commcare-users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > > > > -- > Simon Kelly > Director of Server Engineer | Dimagi >

Hi Hakan

I think you may be confusing the tools. The CommCare Data Export Tool
requires an Excel configuration file which you have to create manually.
Here's an example config file for exporting forms:
https://github.com/dimagi/commcare-export/blob/master/examples/demo-registrations.xlsx?raw=true

I'd recommend that you read through the wiki page which has instructions on
the configuration file:
https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/CommCare+Data+Export+Tool#CommCareDataExportTool-C.ExcelConfigurationDetails

··· On 20 February 2017 at 17:20, Hakan Berk wrote:

If not and I have to create a column, how would I automate this process so
I can export to a specific folder daily?

Thanks,

Hakan

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 8:58:29 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote:

HI Hakan

The "--query" parameter is what tells the tool what to download and what
columns to export. That file shouldn't need to change so you should be able
to keep that the same.

The error message you're getting is because your query file is missing
the "Data Source" column.

On 17 February 2017 at 18:53, Hakan Berk hakan....@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

computer.

directory.

Hakan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com.

--
Simon Kelly

--
"commcare-users" group.

--
Simon Kelly

Thanks for bringing up that clarification.

I was able to run the data export with your sample file, but when I tried
to set up my own excel file it did not seem to work. There are two attached
screenshots. One of them displays what I put in my spreadsheet, the other
is the output from the command window.

The command window line data_source_str = get_column_by_name(worksheet,
'data source')[0].value seems to be returning null? I don't understand why
it would do that if I put "form" under my data source.

Could you let me know what I am doing wrong with the configuration of the
excel file?

Thanks,

Hakan

··· On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 8:26:36 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote: > > Hi Hakan > > I think you may be confusing the tools. The CommCare Data Export Tool > requires an Excel configuration file which you have to create manually. > Here's an example config file for exporting forms: > https://github.com/dimagi/commcare-export/blob/master/examples/demo-registrations.xlsx?raw=true > > I'd recommend that you read through the wiki page which has instructions > on the configuration file: > https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/CommCare+Data+Export+Tool#CommCareDataExportTool-C.ExcelConfigurationDetails > > On 20 February 2017 at 17:20, Hakan Berk <hakan....@gmail.com > wrote: > >> Does the Data Source column not come with the Daily Export? >> >> If not and I have to create a column, how would I automate this process >> so I can export to a specific folder daily? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Hakan >> >> On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 8:58:29 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote: >>> >>> HI Hakan >>> >>> The "--query" parameter is what tells the tool what to download and what >>> columns to export. That file shouldn't need to change so you should be able >>> to keep that the same. >>> >>> The error message you're getting is because your query file is missing >>> the "Data Source" column. >>> >>> On 17 February 2017 at 18:53, Hakan Berk wrote: >>> >>>> Hi, >>>> >>>> I was using the CommCare Data Export Tool found here >>>> and >>>> I had a couple questions. My goal is to be able to get CommCare to >>>> automatically put daily exports into a folder in a specific directory on my >>>> computer. >>>> >>>> In my attempt to implement it, here my questions so far: >>>> >>>> 1) In the --query command is it required to have downloaded the >>>> spreadsheet? If I have to do this everyday, the process won't be automated. >>>> I also tried using the download link address, but that did not seem to work. >>>> >>>> 2) In the picture attached, I am simply just trying to put the excel >>>> spreadsheet in the same directory (I will later put it in another the goal >>>> directory), but I am receiving an error message I am not sure how to deal >>>> with. I appreciate any help on figuring out what is wrong with the cmd line >>>> prompt I wrote and why the output spreadsheet won't be placed in the same >>>> directory. >>>> >>>> I appreciate your help in answering these questions, >>>> >>>> Hakan >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>> Groups "commcare-users" group. >>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>> an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com. >>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> -- >>> Simon Kelly >>> Director of Server Engineer | Dimagi >>> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "commcare-users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > > > > -- > Simon Kelly > Director of Server Engineer | Dimagi >

What doesn't make sense to me is that I just put my form URL into the
demo-registration.xlsx and it worked. So that isn't the problem and I'm not
sure what else it could be.

Thanks,

Hakan

··· On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 11:25:13 AM UTC-5, Hakan Berk wrote: > > Thanks for bringing up that clarification. > > I was able to run the data export with your sample file, but when I tried > to set up my own excel file it did not seem to work. There are two attached > screenshots. One of them displays what I put in my spreadsheet, the other > is the output from the command window. > > The command window line data_source_str = get_column_by_name(worksheet, > 'data source')[0].value seems to be returning null? I don't understand why > it would do that if I put "form" under my data source. > > Could you let me know what I am doing wrong with the configuration of the > excel file? > > Thanks, > > Hakan > > > > On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 8:26:36 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote: >> >> Hi Hakan >> >> I think you may be confusing the tools. The CommCare Data Export Tool >> requires an Excel configuration file which you have to create manually. >> Here's an example config file for exporting forms: >> https://github.com/dimagi/commcare-export/blob/master/examples/demo-registrations.xlsx?raw=true >> >> I'd recommend that you read through the wiki page which has instructions >> on the configuration file: >> https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/CommCare+Data+Export+Tool#CommCareDataExportTool-C.ExcelConfigurationDetails >> >> On 20 February 2017 at 17:20, Hakan Berk wrote: >> >>> Does the Data Source column not come with the Daily Export? >>> >>> If not and I have to create a column, how would I automate this process >>> so I can export to a specific folder daily? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> >>> Hakan >>> >>> On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 8:58:29 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote: >>>> >>>> HI Hakan >>>> >>>> The "--query" parameter is what tells the tool what to download and >>>> what columns to export. That file shouldn't need to change so you should be >>>> able to keep that the same. >>>> >>>> The error message you're getting is because your query file is missing >>>> the "Data Source" column. >>>> >>>> On 17 February 2017 at 18:53, Hakan Berk wrote: >>>> >>>>> Hi, >>>>> >>>>> I was using the CommCare Data Export Tool found here >>>>> and >>>>> I had a couple questions. My goal is to be able to get CommCare to >>>>> automatically put daily exports into a folder in a specific directory on my >>>>> computer. >>>>> >>>>> In my attempt to implement it, here my questions so far: >>>>> >>>>> 1) In the --query command is it required to have downloaded the >>>>> spreadsheet? If I have to do this everyday, the process won't be automated. >>>>> I also tried using the download link address, but that did not seem to work. >>>>> >>>>> 2) In the picture attached, I am simply just trying to put the excel >>>>> spreadsheet in the same directory (I will later put it in another the goal >>>>> directory), but I am receiving an error message I am not sure how to deal >>>>> with. I appreciate any help on figuring out what is wrong with the cmd line >>>>> prompt I wrote and why the output spreadsheet won't be placed in the same >>>>> directory. >>>>> >>>>> I appreciate your help in answering these questions, >>>>> >>>>> Hakan >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> -- >>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>>> Groups "commcare-users" group. >>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>>> an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com. >>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Simon Kelly >>>> Director of Server Engineer | Dimagi >>>> >>> -- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "commcare-users" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com. >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>> >> >> >> >> -- >> Simon Kelly >> Director of Server Engineer | Dimagi >> >

Sorry for the bunch of questions, just really trying to understand how this
works.

How does the scheduling of this process work? Every time I run it, I am
asked for my username / password. If I was to set up a scheduler to do this
everyday, even when I'm not at the computer would it still work or would it
require username / password?

Thanks,

Hakan

··· On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 11:30:09 AM UTC-5, Hakan Berk wrote: > > What doesn't make sense to me is that I just put my form URL into the > demo-registration.xlsx and it worked. So that isn't the problem and I'm not > sure what else it could be. > > Thanks, > > Hakan > > On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 11:25:13 AM UTC-5, Hakan Berk wrote: >> >> Thanks for bringing up that clarification. >> >> I was able to run the data export with your sample file, but when I tried >> to set up my own excel file it did not seem to work. There are two attached >> screenshots. One of them displays what I put in my spreadsheet, the other >> is the output from the command window. >> >> The command window line data_source_str = get_column_by_name(worksheet, >> 'data source')[0].value seems to be returning null? I don't understand why >> it would do that if I put "form" under my data source. >> >> Could you let me know what I am doing wrong with the configuration of the >> excel file? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Hakan >> >> >> >> On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 8:26:36 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote: >>> >>> Hi Hakan >>> >>> I think you may be confusing the tools. The CommCare Data Export Tool >>> requires an Excel configuration file which you have to create manually. >>> Here's an example config file for exporting forms: >>> https://github.com/dimagi/commcare-export/blob/master/examples/demo-registrations.xlsx?raw=true >>> >>> I'd recommend that you read through the wiki page which has instructions >>> on the configuration file: >>> https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/CommCare+Data+Export+Tool#CommCareDataExportTool-C.ExcelConfigurationDetails >>> >>> On 20 February 2017 at 17:20, Hakan Berk wrote: >>> >>>> Does the Data Source column not come with the Daily Export? >>>> >>>> If not and I have to create a column, how would I automate this process >>>> so I can export to a specific folder daily? >>>> >>>> Thanks, >>>> >>>> Hakan >>>> >>>> On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 8:58:29 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote: >>>>> >>>>> HI Hakan >>>>> >>>>> The "--query" parameter is what tells the tool what to download and >>>>> what columns to export. That file shouldn't need to change so you should be >>>>> able to keep that the same. >>>>> >>>>> The error message you're getting is because your query file is missing >>>>> the "Data Source" column. >>>>> >>>>> On 17 February 2017 at 18:53, Hakan Berk wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> Hi, >>>>>> >>>>>> I was using the CommCare Data Export Tool found here >>>>>> and >>>>>> I had a couple questions. My goal is to be able to get CommCare to >>>>>> automatically put daily exports into a folder in a specific directory on my >>>>>> computer. >>>>>> >>>>>> In my attempt to implement it, here my questions so far: >>>>>> >>>>>> 1) In the --query command is it required to have downloaded the >>>>>> spreadsheet? If I have to do this everyday, the process won't be automated. >>>>>> I also tried using the download link address, but that did not seem to work. >>>>>> >>>>>> 2) In the picture attached, I am simply just trying to put the excel >>>>>> spreadsheet in the same directory (I will later put it in another the goal >>>>>> directory), but I am receiving an error message I am not sure how to deal >>>>>> with. I appreciate any help on figuring out what is wrong with the cmd line >>>>>> prompt I wrote and why the output spreadsheet won't be placed in the same >>>>>> directory. >>>>>> >>>>>> I appreciate your help in answering these questions, >>>>>> >>>>>> Hakan >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> -- >>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>>>> Groups "commcare-users" group. >>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, >>>>>> send an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com. >>>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> -- >>>>> Simon Kelly >>>>> Director of Server Engineer | Dimagi >>>>> >>>> -- >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>>> Groups "commcare-users" group. >>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>>> an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com. >>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> -- >>> Simon Kelly >>> Director of Server Engineer | Dimagi >>> >>

HI Hakan

I'm not sure why you're getting that error. It does look like it has the
right information in it.

Regarding the scheduling, you can supply the username and password via
command line options. Run "commcare-export --help" to see the full list of
options.

··· On 24 February 2017 at 18:57, Hakan Berk wrote:

Sorry for the bunch of questions, just really trying to understand how
this works.

How does the scheduling of this process work? Every time I run it, I am
asked for my username / password. If I was to set up a scheduler to do this
everyday, even when I'm not at the computer would it still work or would it
require username / password?

Thanks,

Hakan

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 11:30:09 AM UTC-5, Hakan Berk wrote:

What doesn't make sense to me is that I just put my form URL into the
demo-registration.xlsx and it worked. So that isn't the problem and I'm not
sure what else it could be.

Thanks,

Hakan

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 11:25:13 AM UTC-5, Hakan Berk wrote:

Thanks for bringing up that clarification.

I was able to run the data export with your sample file, but when I
tried to set up my own excel file it did not seem to work. There are two
attached screenshots. One of them displays what I put in my spreadsheet,
the other is the output from the command window.

The command window line data_source_str = get_column_by_name(worksheet,
'data source')[0].value seems to be returning null? I don't understand why
it would do that if I put "form" under my data source.

Could you let me know what I am doing wrong with the configuration of
the excel file?

Thanks,

Hakan

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 8:26:36 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote:

Hi Hakan

I think you may be confusing the tools. The CommCare Data Export Tool
requires an Excel configuration file which you have to create manually.
Here's an example config file for exporting forms:
GitHub - dimagi/commcare-export: A command-line tool and Python library to generate customized exports from CommCareHQ.
/examples/demo-registrations.xlsx?raw=true

I'd recommend that you read through the wiki page which has
instructions on the configuration file: https://confluence.dimag
i.com/display/commcarepublic/CommCare+Data+Export+Tool#Comm
CareDataExportTool-C.ExcelConfigurationDetails

On 20 February 2017 at 17:20, Hakan Berk hakan....@gmail.com wrote:

If not and I have to create a column, how would I automate this
process so I can export to a specific folder daily?

Thanks,

Hakan

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 8:58:29 AM UTC-5, skelly wrote:

HI Hakan

The "--query" parameter is what tells the tool what to download and
what columns to export. That file shouldn't need to change so you should be
able to keep that the same.

The error message you're getting is because your query file is
missing the "Data Source" column.

On 17 February 2017 at 18:53, Hakan Berk hakan....@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,

computer.

directory.

Hakan

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
send an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com.

--
Simon Kelly

--
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com.

--
Simon Kelly

--
"commcare-users" group.

--
Simon Kelly