CommCare and ODK Briefcase

The recent version of the CommCare ODK client (2.6.0) has a neat feature
for moving completed forms from one phone to another. But for one project I
would like to go one step further, and use ODK Briefcase to manage
completed forms - both to move completed forms from the phone SD card to a
computer, and also to export data from those forms without going via a
CommCare server. Obviously, there are a few issues to sort out on the way
(like the names of folders and files), but does anyone have any encouraging
(or discouraging) experience with trying to do this. Or any other ideas?

Thanks.

James,

This seems like a super reasonable extension of the offline form dump
process. I don't believe anyone's had experience with this, but it seems
like something we could try to make a bit easier to support if there are
some technical changes to the form dump we can make.

-Clayton

··· On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM, james beard wrote:

Thanks.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

That would be great!

Thanks.

··· On Friday, May 31, 2013 3:38:22 PM UTC, Clayton Sims wrote: > > James, > > This seems like a super reasonable extension of the offline form dump > process. I don't believe anyone's had experience with this, but it seems > like something we could try to make a bit easier to support if there are > some technical changes to the form dump we can make. > > -Clayton > > > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM, james beard <james.b...@gmail.com wrote: > >> The recent version of the CommCare ODK client (2.6.0) has a neat feature >> for moving completed forms from one phone to another. But for one project I >> would like to go one step further, and use ODK Briefcase to manage >> completed forms - both to move completed forms from the phone SD card to a >> computer, and also to export data from those forms without going via a >> CommCare server. Obviously, there are a few issues to sort out on the way >> (like the names of folders and files), but does anyone have any encouraging >> (or discouraging) experience with trying to do this. Or any other ideas? >> >> Thanks. >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "commcare-users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >> >> >> > >

That is good work, we like it...

··· On Friday, May 31, 2013 at 4:38:22 PM UTC+1, Clayton Sims wrote: > > James, > > This seems like a super reasonable extension of the offline form dump > process. I don't believe anyone's had experience with this, but it seems > like something we could try to make a bit easier to support if there are > some technical changes to the form dump we can make. > > -Clayton > > > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM, james beard <james.b...@gmail.com > wrote: > >> The recent version of the CommCare ODK client (2.6.0) has a neat feature >> for moving completed forms from one phone to another. But for one project I >> would like to go one step further, and use ODK Briefcase to manage >> completed forms - both to move completed forms from the phone SD card to a >> computer, and also to export data from those forms without going via a >> CommCare server. Obviously, there are a few issues to sort out on the way >> (like the names of folders and files), but does anyone have any encouraging >> (or discouraging) experience with trying to do this. Or any other ideas? >> >> Thanks. >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "commcare-users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >> >> >> > >

Have there been any updates on support for offline data export/ODK
Briefcase integration in the last couple years? I could not find any such
information in my search through the Google group and help pages. I am
working on a project that aims to collect survey data in remote areas far
away from any cell or wifi service. We would like to be able to export data
in the field to a laptop for quality control and analysis, and it would be
great to be able to do this with CommCare.

··· On Friday, May 31, 2013 at 4:38:22 PM UTC+1, Clayton Sims wrote: > > James, > > This seems like a super reasonable extension of the offline form dump > process. I don't believe anyone's had experience with this, but it seems > like something we could try to make a bit easier to support if there are > some technical changes to the form dump we can make. > > -Clayton > > > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM, james beard <james.b...@gmail.com > wrote: > >> The recent version of the CommCare ODK client (2.6.0) has a neat feature >> for moving completed forms from one phone to another. But for one project I >> would like to go one step further, and use ODK Briefcase to manage >> completed forms - both to move completed forms from the phone SD card to a >> computer, and also to export data from those forms without going via a >> CommCare server. Obviously, there are a few issues to sort out on the way >> (like the names of folders and files), but does anyone have any encouraging >> (or discouraging) experience with trying to do this. Or any other ideas? >> >> Thanks. >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "commcare-users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >> >> >> > >

Has anyone done this successfully (export data off of a phone onto a
computer)?

··· On Monday, June 3, 2013 2:19:18 AM UTC-4, james beard wrote: > > That would be great! > > Thanks. > > On Friday, May 31, 2013 3:38:22 PM UTC, Clayton Sims wrote: >> >> James, >> >> This seems like a super reasonable extension of the offline form dump >> process. I don't believe anyone's had experience with this, but it seems >> like something we could try to make a bit easier to support if there are >> some technical changes to the form dump we can make. >> >> -Clayton >> >> >> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM, james beard wrote: >> >>> The recent version of the CommCare ODK client (2.6.0) has a neat feature >>> for moving completed forms from one phone to another. But for one project I >>> would like to go one step further, and use ODK Briefcase to manage >>> completed forms - both to move completed forms from the phone SD card to a >>> computer, and also to export data from those forms without going via a >>> CommCare server. Obviously, there are a few issues to sort out on the way >>> (like the names of folders and files), but does anyone have any encouraging >>> (or discouraging) experience with trying to do this. Or any other ideas? >>> >>> Thanks. >>> >>> -- >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >>> Groups "commcare-users" group. >>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send >>> an email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com. >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. >>> >>> >>> >> >>

Hi Brandon,

There's no news in offline data export unfortunately - our solution to this
is still Wifi Direct
https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/CommCare+ODK+with+Wi-Fi+Direct,
which works through form transfer to another mobile device rather than to a
laptop.

Amelia

··· On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 5:41 AM Brandon wrote:

Have there been any updates on support for offline data export/ODK
Briefcase integration in the last couple years? I could not find any such
information in my search through the Google group and help pages. I am
working on a project that aims to collect survey data in remote areas far
away from any cell or wifi service. We would like to be able to export data
in the field to a laptop for quality control and analysis, and it would be
great to be able to do this with CommCare.

On Friday, May 31, 2013 at 4:38:22 PM UTC+1, Clayton Sims wrote:

James,

This seems like a super reasonable extension of the offline form dump
process. I don't believe anyone's had experience with this, but it seems
like something we could try to make a bit easier to support if there are
some technical changes to the form dump we can make.

-Clayton

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM, james beard james.b...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks.

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "commcare-users" group.

email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.