Bulk upload of mother & child

I’m trying to upload mother and child data as a bulk data.
My application has two modules (registration and child screening). In the
registration module there are two forms (mother registration and child
registration). Now I have full set of data with unique IDs for mother and
children.
The problem I face when I use the bulk importer, it asks for case type. Can
you lead me to do this upload correctly. This is confusing to me since I
see only “mother” and “childgmp” as case types. I have attached part of my
data here.

kilinochi_GMP_akkarayan.xls (37 KB)

Hi Miralan,

You need to upload mothers and children separately from each other:

  • Create an Excel document that lists all the mothers (and only mothers)
  • Only include columns in this document that are case properties you
    want to save (i.e. you don’t need to import last_modified_by_username)
  • Remove any odd values from the sheet (i.e. replace — with a blank)
  • Create a column called external_id (the first column of the sheet)
    that contains the Mother ID
  • Import this document using the case importer (on the import page,
    choose the mother case type and make sure you have External ID chosen in
    the dropdown. Make sure that “Create New Cases” is also checked)
  • You can click on Auto Complete case properties on the page that asks
    you to map Excel columns to case properties
  • Complete this import (recommend you do this with 5 rows to test first)

You now have all the mothers imported with a special ID (the external_id)
that contains the mother’s ID. You can now use this to relate imported
children to mothers.

  • Create another Excel document that lists all the children
  • Only include columns in this document that are case properties you
    want to save to the child case
  • Remove any odd values from the sheet (i.e. replace — with a blank
    value)
  • Create a column called external_id (the first column of the sheet)
    that contains the child ID
  • Add another column called parent_external_id that contains the ID of
    the mother for that child
  • Add another column called parent_type with the value mother for each
    row
  • Import this document using the case importer. Make sure you choose the
    child_gmp case type and choose External ID when prompted in the dropdown
    (instead of case ID). Make sure Create New Cases is also checked
  • You can click on Auto Complete case properties on the page that asks
    you to map Excel columns to case properties
  • Complete this import - recommend you do this with a few test rows
    first before all of your data

Thanks,
Sheel

··· On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 2:30 AM, vyramuthu miralan wrote:

I’m trying to upload mother and child data as a bulk data.
My application has two modules (registration and child screening). In the
registration module there are two forms (mother registration and child
registration). Now I have full set of data with unique IDs for mother and
children.
The problem I face when I use the bulk importer, it asks for case type.
Can you lead me to do this upload correctly. This is confusing to me since
I see only “mother” and “childgmp” as case types. I have attached part of
my data here.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


Sheel Shah
Project Manager | Dimagi
m: +1.781.428.5419 | skype: sheel_shah

Hi shell!
It works. thank you. I think in the mother cases we have to link a case
property to *name *as well.

··· On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 12:00:12 UTC+5:30, vyramuthu miralan wrote: > > I'm trying to upload mother and child data as a bulk data. > My application has two modules (registration and child screening). In the > registration module there are two forms (mother registration and child > registration). Now I have full set of data with unique IDs for mother and > children. > The problem I face when I use the bulk importer, it asks for case type. > Can you lead me to do this upload correctly. This is confusing to me since > I see only "mother" and "childgmp" as case types. I have attached part of > my data here. >

Dear All,
I used bulk upload to update this file under mother case. Then when I tried
to create child case under this mother. According to the mobile application
the child ID should automatically come (ex if mother ID is XXA then the
child ID should be XXA-1). But this automatic child was not coming. Instead
I can see in the mobile app as follows XXA-NaN. Please explain this fault.

Please note when creating the bulk update for the Excel column I matched
"mother_id" and for the corresponding case filed I matched “External ID”.
Please update me on this. thank you.

··· On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 12:00:12 UTC+5:30, vyramuthu miralan wrote: > > I'm trying to upload mother and child data as a bulk data. > My application has two modules (registration and child screening). In the > registration module there are two forms (mother registration and child > registration). Now I have full set of data with unique IDs for mother and > children. > The problem I face when I use the bulk importer, it asks for case type. > Can you lead me to do this upload correctly. This is confusing to me since > I see only "mother" and "childgmp" as case types. I have attached part of > my data here. >

Hi,

Would you be able to report an issue using CommCare HQ?

This way we can take a closer look to see what’s going on.

Thanks,

Robin Selwitz

··· On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 4:46:37 AM UTC-5, vyramuthu miralan wrote: > > Dear All, > I used bulk upload to update this file under mother case. Then when I > tried to create child case under this mother. According to the mobile > application the child ID should automatically come (ex if mother ID is XXA > then the child ID should be XXA-1). But this automatic child was not > coming. Instead I can see in the mobile app as follows XXA-NaN. Please > explain this fault. > > Please note when creating the bulk update for the Excel column I matched > "mother_id" and for the corresponding case filed I matched "External ID". > Please update me on this. thank you. > > On Wednesday, 16 September 2015 12:00:12 UTC+5:30, vyramuthu miralan wrote: >> >> I'm trying to upload mother and child data as a bulk data. >> My application has two modules (registration and child screening). In the >> registration module there are two forms (mother registration and child >> registration). Now I have full set of data with unique IDs for mother and >> children. >> The problem I face when I use the bulk importer, it asks for case type. >> Can you lead me to do this upload correctly. This is confusing to me since >> I see only "mother" and "childgmp" as case types. I have attached part of >> my data here. >> >