Adding many choices into Combobox

Hello!

I wanted to check if there is a better way to add a lot of choices (more than 100) to combobox? Currently I'm adding it one by one through add choice button.

Thank you!
Lina

Hi Lina,

Large enumerations in CommCare can be managed with the Lookup Tables functionality.

-Clayton

Hello Clayton,

Thanks so much, but Lookup tables are paid version right? So, there is no way to do this if I'm not a subscriber?

Thanks & Rgds,
Lina

Hi Lina,

Lookup tables are a paid version feature, yes.

One other option you could consider is using a tool like XLSForm to create the question in Excel, converting to an XForm, and then uploading that form, but since those tools are created / supported by the general open source community, rather than directly by our team, it'd be harder for us to provide support for if you ran across any difficulties.

-Clayton

Hi Lina,

First create two (2) response choice for the question that you'd like to add 100 response choices to.
Highlight the two response choices and press Ctrl+C or ⌘+C as if you're copying the text.

Open up Excel and paste the copied response choices (Ctrl+V or ⌘+V). It should create three columns.

From here, you can add the additional response choices. Make sure that you update the "ID" column as well with the appropriate choice values. The second column, "TYPE" should be all the same. And the third column would be the "DISPLAY TEXT."

Once you've entered all of the response you'd like, copy the three columns from the first row (including "Form Builder clip version 1") down to the last row of the response choice.

Go back to CommCare, highlight the question where you would like to add the response choices and paste.

If 100 rows of responses are too much for it to handle. Repeat the process with 20~30 at a time.

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for the answer, I did try using XLSForm, I did upload 300 rows of records and it's working properly.

Thanks & Rgds,

Lina