PowerBI Integration

Hello everyone I have a little piece of knowledge regarding "How to import Rest API in Power BI" and here is the link:

https://zappysys.com/blog/howto-import-json-rest-api-power-bi/

Just wanted to revive this thread with some resources that we've put together on how to integrate Power BI and CommCare and thought I'd share. For a step by step guide with images of what @Chaiwa_Berian mentioned above you can go straight to "Querying CommCare Data from Power BI."

We've started building quite a few dashboards now to manage the implementation of data collection and know that we've just scratched the surface on the power (pun intended) of BI and that's just using mostly meta data to track the implementation. Would love to start a community of practice of sorts to expand, share, and create especially for us that are not coders but clickers... - so if anyone is interested and wanted to share I'd be happy to connect on this.

@ttseng Thank you for documenting these steps. I followed the steps and successfully setup the Power BI Gateway for the scheduled data refresh! Everything looks and works just fine, except CommCare still only updates the data feed once in 24 hours regardless of how often the Gateway is scheduled to pull data. The Gateway is scheduled to pull data every after one hour during the day but it will always get the same data CommCare pushed to the data feed at midnight, unless you manually update data on the data feed in CommCareHQ!

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
Chaiwa.

@Chaiwa_Berian Glad you found it useful.

My understanding is that you cannot schedule a data refresh in CommCareHQ like you can in Power BI and that you are correct that you'll have to wait once every 24 hours or manually update it. I'm assuming you're wanting to see the data more than once every 24 hours? If so, I'm not sure what can be done.

If your forms aren’t too complex and don’t change too often you could consider integrating with Zapier to a MySQL database. This way you can even do a Direct Query in Power BI and have your data displayed in real time! CommCare Integrations | Connect Your Apps with Zapier

Alternatively you could consider using CommCare’s Data Export Tool, although you will probably have to combine it with SQL as well: CommCare Data Export Tool - CommCare Public - CommCare Public

@ttseng TONY!!! You sir are a star!

1 Like

Hi All,

You may have already received an email from us about this, but wanted to update here for good measure.

Last week we launched our most direct integration with PowerBi and Tableau ever! :point_down:t5:

All CommCare users on Advanced and Enterprise subscription plans now have access to this new integration. Pro plan users can also add these integrations to their subscription for a small fee.

Want to upgrade your Community, Standard or Pro subscription? Please reach out to me at dmore@dimagi.com to discuss!

Thanks,
Dev

1 Like