Are there sync logs available from the mobile application?

Hi,

Context:

• The forms can't sync from the phone to the server.
  • On the server we have a Kafka issue (it is up but can't find any brokers). We are unable to figure this out at this point.

Thanks!

#it4life

Do you mean logs of the sync attempts? I don't think these are available though I can't think what you'd need them for.

Re kafka not working, have you confirmed that Zookeeper is running? I assume you've checked in the Kafka logs for any useful output (/opt/kafka/logs/controller.log).

It might also be useful to check the broker details in Zookeeper:

$ cd /opt/kafka/bin
$ ./zookeeper-shell.sh localhost:2181
> ls /brokers/ids
[1, 2]
> get /brokers/ids/1
{"endpoints":["PLAINTEXT://10.xxx.xx.170:9092"],"host":"10.xxx.xx.170"}
> get /brokers/ids/2
{"endpoints":["PLAINTEXT://10.xxx.xx.171:9092"],"host":"10.xxx.xx.171"}

Ref: https://www.baeldung.com/ops/kafka-list-active-brokers-in-cluster

Hi Simon,

Thanks a lot for your reply. We're still struggling go to get all the services up and running. Here's the output of the commands you recommended. Any clue?

Thanks!

@jkouadio

This looks like there's an issue with the Zookeeper instance. You could try and restart Zookeeper and also check the Zookeeper logs.

Hi Simon,

We are still struggling with this issue. We could really use some help here. Thanks!

Here's what we tried so far, but without success.

1. Stopped Zookeeper with the script zookeeper-server-stop.sh
  2. Started Zookeeper with the script zookeeper-server-start.sh
  3. Connection to Zookeeper with localhost, but it fails

1. Connection to Zookeeper with the FDQN (no 'connection error' error but the shell still not available)

1. Switched localhost to FDQN in the server.properties file, added listener, start/stop of Zookeeper, restarted Kafka and after-reboot of Kafka. Still, no brokers are available.

Here Zookeeper's logs:

Here are Kafka's logs:

It looks like using the FDQN worked. The shell doesn't give you a prompt, it's just bare. You could try type "?" And see if you get the help output.

I think this is making sense. If there is a mismatch between what the service is binding to and what the client is trying to connect to the it could cause these types of issues.

You could check your Kafka and zookeeper config to see what the network binds are. Also check how you have things configured in your commcare-cloud inventory. I would recommend using the host's private IP addresses rather than the FDQN.