Filter Multiple-Choice Question with Cases as Values by Selected Parent

I have a case called 'Project', which has an 'Indicator' child case. In the indicator details form (which you can access by first selecting a project and then selecting an already registered indicator), you can select which other indicators from the same project the currently selected indicator relates to.

I have a lookup table set up with the following statement:
instance('casedb')/casedb/case[@case_type = 'Indicator'][index/parent=current()/@case_id][@status = 'open']

This, unfortunately, results in a question with no choice values. If I remove the [index/parent=current()/@case_id], it return all open indicator cases, which is not what I want.

Thanks for your help on this!

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I think the confusion is in where you are trying to derive the ID of the case that was selected from the menu.

The current() root in an XPath expresson makes a reference to the context of the current question, rather than the "Current" Case that was selected.

The case selected in a menu is generally available from the session instance, with a reference like

instance('commcaresession')/session/data/case_id

Can you update your reference to retrieve the case id in that manner and see if it corrects the issue?

-Clayton

Thanks Clayton. I tried the following:

instance('casedb')/casedb/case[@case_type = 'Indicator'][index/parent=instance('commcaresession')/session/data/case_id][@status = 'open']

but the question remains empty of choice values.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I read your question again to make sure I was clear, since I think I mis-interpreted on the first reading.

Are you looking for cases with a "peer" relationship? IE: other indicators which share the same parent as the selected indicator?

If so, instead of searching for cases which index the current case ID (which will give you a list of child cases) you should search for cases which have the same parent id as the current case, which (as outlined on that page) you can retrieve as follows:

instance('casedb')/casedb/case[@case_id = instance('commcaresession')/session/data/case_id]/index/parent

I'd recommend putting that lookup in a hidden value before loading it into the lookup table question to filter the case list, since it'll be complex.

-Clayton

This worked perfectly! Thanks Clayton!

@Clayton_Sims
Copying your solution and pasting it throws error with a bit vague error report. If anyone trying this, gets an error, the solution is typing the single quotations marks.

Copy paste will give you- curly quotations ‘’.
Typing will give you straight quotation