Default values for a 'data entry session'

Hi,

As part of our referral-tracking implementation I wonder what the best way
to capture 'temporary default values' could be. When we have screening
activities, they take place at one day and one particular location and
often refer people to the next clinic day at one particular hospital.

So the location of todays screening activity, the next clinic day (aka
appointment day) and the nearest hospital can change, but usually not
during the whole screening activity. Right now I have 3 questions for these
data points on my form, but ideally I could preset them so that they come
up as a default for the rest of the day.

But I'm not sure how to do this. Maybe by simply using the answers from the
previous case as a default for the the current one? Or by defining a
general 'set default' form? Something else?

Thanks,
christian

Hi Christian,

You can set default values by defining a default value under "Question
Properties". Under this, there is the "Advanced Properties" which contains
the 'Default Data Value' field. You can enter things in here like numbers
(e.g. 0) and text (e.g. yes). Please see the following article for more
information on how to achieve
this: Defining a Default Value - CommCare Public - CommCare Public

Regards,

Kishan

··· On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 6:54:57 PM UTC+5:30, Christian Neumann wrote: > > Hi, > > As part of our referral-tracking implementation I wonder what the best way > to capture 'temporary default values' could be. When we have screening > activities, they take place at one day and one particular location and > often refer people to the next clinic day at one particular hospital. > > So the location of todays screening activity, the next clinic day (aka > appointment day) and the nearest hospital can change, but usually not > during the whole screening activity. Right now I have 3 questions for these > data points on my form, but ideally I could preset them so that they come > up as a default for the rest of the day. > > But I'm not sure how to do this. Maybe by simply using the answers from > the previous case as a default for the the current one? Or by defining a > general 'set default' form? Something else? > > Thanks, > christian >

Thanks a lot for you response Kushan!

I’ve seen this page, but wasn’t sure if this is what I want. The way I understand option #1 (also the one you are referring to) seems to have 'application default' values. If I want to change these defaults, I need to deploy a new version. But I only want the default for one day/session based on what the user defines upfront.

And I have to admit that I didn’t fully understand option #2 (case properties) as I couldn’t find them in my CommCare account. Can these properties change without deploying a new app?

Thanks,
christian

··· > On 16 Jun 2016, at 15:39, Kishan Sampat wrote: > > Hi Christian, > > You can set default values by defining a default value under "Question Properties". Under this, there is the "Advanced Properties" which contains the 'Default Data Value' field. You can enter things in here like numbers (e.g. 0) and text (e.g. yes). Please see the following article for more information on how to achieve this: https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/Defining+a+Default+Value > > Regards, > > Kishan > > On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 6:54:57 PM UTC+5:30, Christian Neumann wrote: > Hi, > > As part of our referral-tracking implementation I wonder what the best way to capture 'temporary default values' could be. When we have screening activities, they take place at one day and one particular location and often refer people to the next clinic day at one particular hospital. > > So the location of todays screening activity, the next clinic day (aka appointment day) and the nearest hospital can change, but usually not during the whole screening activity. Right now I have 3 questions for these data points on my form, but ideally I could preset them so that they come up as a default for the rest of the day. > > But I'm not sure how to do this. Maybe by simply using the answers from the previous case as a default for the the current one? Or by defining a general 'set default' form? Something else? > > Thanks, > christian > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "commcare-users" group. > To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/commcare-users/bwz0A-f3Wsc/unsubscribe . > To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com . > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout .

Christian,

This sounds like a good use case for custom user data
https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/Custom+User+Data.

You could add these three fields (location, appointment, and nearest
hospital) and then reference them from within the form.

Unfortunately, default values can only be literals at the moment, so you'll
need to workaround this slightly. For example, you could display the
'default' value and then give users the ability to override this, with a
separate hidden value calculation choosing the 'final' value between these
two (overridden value if it exists, default otherwise).

If you have a standard plan or higher, User Case
https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/User+Case would also
be a clean way around to do this. Then you could preload these values as
case properties and proper default values, and also update them from within
the calculation (IE if the user selects a nearer hospital the default would
then be changed to that hospital).

Cheers,
Will

··· On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Christian Neumann < christian.neumann@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks a lot for you response Kushan!

I’ve seen this page, but wasn’t sure if this is what I want. The way I
understand option #1 (also the one you are referring to) seems to have
'application default' values. If I want to change these defaults, I need to
deploy a new version. But I only want the default for one day/session based
on what the user defines upfront.

And I have to admit that I didn’t fully understand option #2 (case
properties) as I couldn’t find them in my CommCare account. Can these
properties change without deploying a new app?

Thanks,
christian

On 16 Jun 2016, at 15:39, Kishan Sampat ksampat@dimagi.com wrote:

Hi Christian,

You can set default values by defining a default value under "Question
Properties". Under this, there is the "Advanced Properties" which contains
the 'Default Data Value' field. You can enter things in here like numbers
(e.g. 0) and text (e.g. yes). Please see the following article for more
information on how to achieve this:
Defining a Default Value - CommCare Public - CommCare Public

Regards,

Kishan

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 6:54:57 PM UTC+5:30, Christian Neumann wrote:

Hi,

As part of our referral-tracking implementation I wonder what the best
way to capture 'temporary default values' could be. When we have screening
activities, they take place at one day and one particular location and
often refer people to the next clinic day at one particular hospital.

So the location of todays screening activity, the next clinic day (aka
appointment day) and the nearest hospital can change, but usually not
during the whole screening activity. Right now I have 3 questions for these
data points on my form, but ideally I could preset them so that they come
up as a default for the rest of the day.

But I'm not sure how to do this. Maybe by simply using the answers from
the previous case as a default for the the current one? Or by defining a
general 'set default' form? Something else?

Thanks,
christian

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the
Google Groups "commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/commcare-users/bwz0A-f3Wsc/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to
commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Will,

It seems indded that for this case the standard plan makes most sense.

But to clarify regarding the custom user data: Is this more or less
hard-coding the values within the CommCare user accounts through the Manage
Mobile Workers feature? Is there a way to change these values from a form
or would someone always need to update the relevant user accounts prior to
a new 'data entry session'?

Thanks a lot,
christian

··· On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 5:12:55 PM UTC+2, William Pride wrote: > > Christian, > > This sounds like a good use case for custom user data > . > > You could add these three fields (location, appointment, and nearest > hospital) and then reference them from within the form. > > Unfortunately, default values can only be literals at the moment, so > you'll need to workaround this slightly. For example, you could display the > 'default' value and then give users the ability to override this, with a > separate hidden value calculation choosing the 'final' value between these > two (overridden value if it exists, default otherwise). > > If you have a standard plan or higher, User Case > would > also be a clean way around to do this. Then you could preload these values > as case properties and proper default values, and also update them from > within the calculation (IE if the user selects a nearer hospital the > default would then be changed to that hospital). > > Cheers, > Will > > On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Christian Neumann <christia...@gmail.com > wrote: > >> Thanks a lot for you response Kushan! >> >> I’ve seen this page, but wasn’t sure if this is what I want. The way I >> understand option #1 (also the one you are referring to) seems to have >> 'application default' values. If I want to change these defaults, I need to >> deploy a new version. But I only want the default for one day/session based >> on what the user defines upfront. >> >> And I have to admit that I didn’t fully understand option #2 (case >> properties) as I couldn’t find them in my CommCare account. Can these >> properties change without deploying a new app? >> >> Thanks, >> christian >> >> On 16 Jun 2016, at 15:39, Kishan Sampat <ksa...@dimagi.com > wrote: >> >> Hi Christian, >> >> You can set default values by defining a default value under "Question >> Properties". Under this, there is the "Advanced Properties" which contains >> the 'Default Data Value' field. You can enter things in here like numbers >> (e.g. 0) and text (e.g. yes). Please see the following article for more >> information on how to achieve this: >> https://confluence.dimagi.com/display/commcarepublic/Defining+a+Default+Value >> >> Regards, >> >> Kishan >> >> On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 6:54:57 PM UTC+5:30, Christian Neumann wrote: >>> >>> Hi, >>> >>> As part of our referral-tracking implementation I wonder what the best >>> way to capture 'temporary default values' could be. When we have screening >>> activities, they take place at one day and one particular location and >>> often refer people to the next clinic day at one particular hospital. >>> >>> So the location of todays screening activity, the next clinic day (aka >>> appointment day) and the nearest hospital can change, but usually not >>> during the whole screening activity. Right now I have 3 questions for these >>> data points on my form, but ideally I could preset them so that they come >>> up as a default for the rest of the day. >>> >>> But I'm not sure how to do this. Maybe by simply using the answers from >>> the previous case as a default for the the current one? Or by defining a >>> general 'set default' form? Something else? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> christian >>> >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the >> Google Groups "commcare-users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit >> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/commcare-users/bwz0A-f3Wsc/unsubscribe. >> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to >> commcare-user...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "commcare-users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to commcare-user...@googlegroups.com . >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. >> > >

But to clarify regarding the custom user data: Is this more or less
hard-coding the values within the CommCare user accounts through the Manage
Mobile Workers feature? Is there a way to change these values from a form
or would someone always need to update the relevant user accounts prior to
a new 'data entry session'?

That's correct. What you're describing in the latter sentence is User Case
as linked above.

··· On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Christian Neumann < christian.neumann@gmail.com> wrote: