Current Issues with CommCareHQ Reports, APIs

Dear Users,

We are currently experiencing problems with some features of CommCareHQ.

The following features are affected:

  • Built-in Reports
  • The Mobile Workers page
  • API access

We have identified the problem and are working to fix it as quickly as
possible. In the meantime, I would like to reassure you that there is no
risk of data loss for submitted data.

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Amelia

Just to clarify, I think when you say that this bug affects “built-in
reports,” you also mean “Form Exports.” because I got an error message when
I tried a regular form export about 20 minutes ago, which I assumed is
related to this bug.

to be more accurate, the error message was when I pressed the button to
create a NEW forms export, not run an existing one.

Sorry – I will correct myself. The error when doing forms export was not
only when I went to create a new export. I tried to run an existing forms
export and got the red box “There was an error downloading your export.
If the problem persists, please Report an Issue
https://www.commcarehq.org/a/epm-thai/data/export/custom/form/download/bulk/#modalReportIssue.

I did not submit a bug report because I am sure it’s part of the same
problem, and believe the gang is already working on it.

Hi Everyone,

Just an update that all mobile-worker-based pages should be functioning
again.

Unfortunately it appears that the process of rebuilding the report data is
going to take some time. We’ll update here when we have a clearer timeline
but in the meantime reports may continue to error and/or show inaccurate
information.

Eric - I believe exports should now be fixed, so feel free to report an
issue if you do continue to see problems.

thanks,
Cory

··· On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 8:48 AM, Eric Stephan wrote:

Sorry – I will correct myself. The error when doing forms export was not
only when I went to create a new export. I tried to run an existing forms
export and got the red box “There was an error downloading your export.
If the problem persists, please Report an Issue
https://www.commcarehq.org/a/epm-thai/data/export/custom/form/download/bulk/#modalReportIssue.

I did not submit a bug report because I am sure it’s part of the same
problem, and believe the gang is already working on it.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"commcare-users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Cory – Hmm, nope, I did try a new bulk forms export about an hour ago
this morning, and it still does show a generic pink box error message. I
did do a bug report on it, with the attached screen shot. I am sure they
have a lot on their plate right now.

Eric

Auto Generated Inline Image 1 (85.3 KB)

Thanks Eric, we’re looking into this.

Auto Generated Inline Image 1 (85.3 KB)

··· On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Eric Stephan wrote:

Hi Cory – Hmm, nope, I did try a new bulk forms export about an hour ago
this morning, and it still does show a generic pink box error message. I
did do a bug report on it, with the attached screen shot. I am sure they
have a lot on their plate right now.

Eric


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hey all,

All reports should be fully functioning again. Please let us know if you
continue to see any discrepancies in reports.

Thanks again for your patience on this.

best,
Cory

Auto Generated Inline Image 1 (85.3 KB)

··· On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Cory Zue wrote:

Thanks Eric, we’re looking into this.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Eric Stephan estephan500@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Cory – Hmm, nope, I did try a new bulk forms export about an hour ago
this morning, and it still does show a generic pink box error message. I
did do a bug report on it, with the attached screen shot. I am sure they
have a lot on their plate right now.

Eric


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Dear Cory,

I have generated report from Submissions By Form and I, got all the fields zero in report but I am sure we have submitted some forms into server this morning.

Regards,
Alireza

··· From: commcare-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:commcare-users@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Cory Zue Sent: Monday, June 13, 2016 2:49 PM To: commcare-users@googlegroups.com Subject: Re: Current Issues with CommCareHQ Reports, APIs

Hey all,

All reports should be fully functioning again. Please let us know if you continue to see any discrepancies in reports.

Thanks again for your patience on this.

best,
Cory

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Cory Zue <czue@dimagi.commailto:czue@dimagi.com> wrote:
Thanks Eric, we’re looking into this.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Eric Stephan <estephan500@gmail.commailto:estephan500@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Cory – Hmm, nope, I did try a new bulk forms export about an hour ago this morning, and it still does show a generic pink box error message. I did do a bug report on it, with the attached screen shot. I am sure they have a lot on their plate right now.

Eric
[cid:image001.jpg@01D1C62E.D47D45F0]


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.commailto:commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.commailto:commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Attached is the messages which will come and disappear fast.

··· From: commcare-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:commcare-users@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Ali Rezaee Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:38 AM To: commcare-users@googlegroups.com Subject: RE: Current Issues with CommCareHQ Reports, APIs

Dear Cory,

I have generated report from Submissions By Form and I, got all the fields zero in report but I am sure we have submitted some forms into server this morning.

Regards,
Alireza
From: commcare-users@googlegroups.commailto:commcare-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:commcare-users@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Cory Zue
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2016 2:49 PM
To: commcare-users@googlegroups.commailto:commcare-users@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Current Issues with CommCareHQ Reports, APIs

Hey all,

All reports should be fully functioning again. Please let us know if you continue to see any discrepancies in reports.

Thanks again for your patience on this.

best,
Cory

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Cory Zue <czue@dimagi.commailto:czue@dimagi.com> wrote:
Thanks Eric, we’re looking into this.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Eric Stephan <estephan500@gmail.commailto:estephan500@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Cory – Hmm, nope, I did try a new bulk forms export about an hour ago this morning, and it still does show a generic pink box error message. I did do a bug report on it, with the attached screen shot. I am sure they have a lot on their plate right now.

Eric
[cid:image001.jpg@01D1C632.E85760C0]


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.commailto:commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.commailto:commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.commailto:commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Ali,

Please report an issue from your project and someone on our support team
can take a look.

best,
Cory

··· On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Ali Rezaee wrote:

Attached is the messages which will come and disappear fast.

From: commcare-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:
commcare-users@googlegroups.com] *On Behalf Of *Ali Rezaee
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:38 AM
To: commcare-users@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Current Issues with CommCareHQ Reports, APIs

Dear Cory,

I have generated report from *Submissions By Form *and I, got all the
fields zero in report but I am sure we have submitted some forms into
server this morning.

Regards,

Alireza

From: commcare-users@googlegroups.com [
mailto:commcare-users@googlegroups.com commcare-users@googlegroups.com] *On
Behalf Of *Cory Zue
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2016 2:49 PM
To: commcare-users@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Current Issues with CommCareHQ Reports, APIs

Hey all,

All reports should be fully functioning again. Please let us know if you
continue to see any discrepancies in reports.

Thanks again for your patience on this.

best,

Cory

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Cory Zue czue@dimagi.com wrote:

Thanks Eric, we’re looking into this.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Eric Stephan estephan500@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Cory – Hmm, nope, I did try a new bulk forms export about an hour ago
this morning, and it still does show a generic pink box error message. I
did do a bug report on it, with the attached screen shot. I am sure they
have a lot on their plate right now.

Eric


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
“commcare-users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to commcare-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.